POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A good blurred reflection with bumps : Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 6 Jan 2004 21:54:14
Message: <3ffb74d6$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, you have not said how you think per object settings are supposed
> to work.  In case of a wire grid for example you would have to set
> higher quality settings for both the grid object and the background to
> get it nicely antialiased and if the grid is reflective or if it only
> visible as a reflection in another object it might not work at all
> depending on the implementation.

The easiest approach would be to apply higher AA to objects that the
rays hit first. I don't think there would be any need for "2nd or more
generation" object specific AA. So if the ray hits a transparent object
with higher AA, then we would AA only that specific point no matter what
objects there are behind (with whatever AA settings). Basically this is
same as 2D AA map based on regions - I think?

And I don't think this is misusing AA when aiming for blurred
reflections. I think down scaled normals IS more like a real world
approximation of blurred reflections. AA simply tries to outcome the
resolution (and eye) limitations in that situation. Isn't that the
purpose of AA?

Severi S.